[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Mon Feb 14 12:32:50 EST 2011

Dear Don, Frank and all,
I must say I share the reservations against comparing one uprising with other. It makes sense at a certain level of abstraction, as all the cases mentioned refer to active opposition against political regimes that do not provide the usual democratic means to express dissatisfaction and enforce the exit of an unpopular leadership and so forth, but this is it. I can't see how Kwangju 1980 is otherwise related to Kairo 2011. The country, the political system, religion, the geopolitical environment - all much too different. The reason why I am writing this is that I have recently rediscovered a topic that I thought was long dead and buried - comparing German and Korean unification. So much has been written, but so little has been understood, it's amazing. Comparability is one of the reasons for this unsatisfactory situation. So I would join those who caution against drawing too strong parallels. Having said that, what I do believe matters to a certain degree is the example as such. As I could observe personally in Eastern Europe 20 odd years ago, reforms in other countries made new options available and created a sense of urgency (like: hey, look what the neighbor's doin' - let's do the same). Erich Honecker had it coming when he, referring to Gorbachov's idea of a European House, asked why he should paint his house just because the neighbor is busy renovating. Well, exactly because he is.
Now, all this obviously depends on how closely connected one case is with the other; I can see the effect of Tunisia on Egypt, but have difficulties to see the effect of Egypt on North Korea. And there is no Facebook in North Korea. Not that this would be a great deficiency; but access to information is not developed to a degree that would allow for a wildfire to spread.
Best,
Rudiger
PS: Frank, as far as I know Marx provided a model that you might find useful. He asserted that societies develop continuously; however, most of the time they do so quantitatively. Then, if a certain threshold (das Mass - not die Mass, by the way) is reached, society gets ready for a qualitative change (from one quality to another). All it takes is a spark that ignites the fuse, so to say. This is called a revolutionary situation. Such a situation can last for a rather long time without any change; but then suddenly - boom. It is hard to predict the exact time when that explosion happens, which can be frustrating for analysts like us. So if in country A there is a revolutionary situation, and country B has an actual revolution, the latter's example could indeed become the trigger for country A to finally act. I have speculated that KJI's death could fulfill such a function in case economic reforms keep sharpening the contradictions in NK's society, to remain with Marx' terminology. Note that I used the subjunctive.