[KS] Korea-centric art image searches

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Jan 4 14:09:55 EST 2011

Dear Kevin, dear Charlotte:

Resourceful posts! I think this pretty much sums
it up. In my experience searching "specific"
image databases is often not too useful. Most
images you search for by e.g. title or artist
from databases that are openly accessible
('ARTstor' is not among those) show also up if
you just do a Google or Naver image search
(indeed, more success if also searching in
Han'gûl, also within Google, not just in Naver).
But you all know all that anyway.

One small practical suggestion:
If you can't "download" them the usual way (e.g.
Korean 'blog' and 'message board' scripts often
do not allow you to do that), just use some
freeware application to take a screen shot from
your computer screen. That does take more effort,
of course, as you will have to then crop the
images, but works fine for me. You can use any
freeware script to do that (e.g. "Grab" on a Mac,
part of OS X) but can also do that without any
program. See here for instructions:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/141-print-screen-windows-mac-os-x-and-unix-linux
Then crop the image with whatever image editor you are using.

Windows screen capture software:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Capture/
Look for the "Freeware" category ... those work perfectly fine.

Macintosh screen capture software:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=mac/10.4/en/mh364.html
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphics/InstantShot.shtml
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/SnapNDrag.shtml