[KS] Court jesters

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 6 20:35:55 EST 2011

   In my reading of Choson dynasty sources over the years I cannot
remember coming across any person that looked like a court jester, but
with twenty-seven kings during that period being constantly under the
scrutiny of Confucian officials for any fault, I wouldn't be surprised
if at least a few of them might have longed for the comfort of a
little humor and entertainment during their daily duties. So I would
not rule out the possibility that a jester might have served his king
in some cases. But it's not likely that such a thing would be recorded
in official source materials.The best place to look would be in the
more informal yasa literature that was produced over the course of the
dynasty.

   However, in the Koryo sa, kwon 114, pp. 27a-28a, there's a
biography of a man named Na Hung'yu (나흥유, 羅興儒), who comes close to the
description of a jester, although that was only one aspect of his
career. Na was said to be of gaunt appearance and fond of jokes.
During the reign of King Kongmin (1352-1374), he failed the
examination for a civil post but obtained a military rank and was put
in charge of a palace construction project. While supervising the
workers moving the stones into place, he stood on a high rock,
gleaming in his luminous white beard while waving flags and shouting
at them. King Kongmin, who had enjoyed watching the show, appointed
him as the master of ceremonies and as time went by a number of other
promotions involving special projects, keeping him in his presence
morning and evening and calling upon him to compose poems and tell
jokes. After Kongmin's assassination and early in the reign of his
successor (known only as Sin U 신우 辛禑, r. 1374-1388), Na was sent to
Japan as the head of a diploamtic mission The Japanese at first
thought he was a spy and threw him in jail. He was recognized by a
Korean monk then living in Japan, who requested his release. Na was
then just 60, but claimed he was actually 150. The Japanese all gaped
at him, then painted a congratulatory portrait and presented it to him.

   Mysteriously, the biography stops there, without saying whether he
ever returned to Korea or not. But clearly he had an unusual career.

Gari Ledyard