[KS] The Jehol Diary

Ross King jrpking at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 26 02:03:05 EST 2011

Dear Dr. Choe-Wall:

I look forward to examining your translation (but am not volunteering to review it). J. S. Gale left behind among his many unpublished literary translations from hanmun a fragment ('aborted start' would be a better term) from the 열하일기, starting at the beginning with "Crossing the Yalu."

After 8 pages of carefully written out English translation (about 15 pages double-spaced when typed up), he gives up, and the last words on the manuscript page are: "Too difficult and obscure for words." And he had excellent hanmun 'pundits' to help him (his term).

RK

열하일기 > Dear fellow members,  This message is to announce, rather belatedly, the publication of The

--
Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head,

and

Dean, Korean Language Village,
Concordia Language Villages

Mailing address:
Ross King, Department of Asian Studies, UBC
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
CANADA

vox: 604-822-2835