[KS] Government General Museum

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Mon Jan 31 01:19:10 EST 2011

PS to the previous message. It suddenly strikes me that the opening of the museum might very well have been the real reason for the return of the Gyeongcheonsa Pagoda. I do not believe that there was any "press campaign" after the initial protests of 1907-8 by Bethell & Hulbert, which left the Japanese government in Korea aware of the true value of the object. The Japanese were hardly likely to have cared about what western newspapers said, anyway. The return is far more likely to be due to a gentlemen's agreement among Japanese aristocrats / collectors. The museum was destined to house Korean cultural treasures.

Brother Anthony