[KS] China Lays Claim to 'Arirang'

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sat Jul 9 15:06:25 EDT 2011

>Not so curious when seen in this light....
>
>http://nationalinterest.org/article/hegemony-chinese-characteristics-5439?page=show

Fine, but can you explain how this relates? That
is not necessarily so obvious. The article is
about U.S.-Chinese relations, and the entry
argument seems already quite off-track (or
better, outdated) to me. Quote: "THE UNITED
States and the People¹s Republic of China are
locked in a quiet but increasingly intense
struggle for power and influence (...)." To me
that sounds like describing two chess players
drinking a good wine while each struggles to win,
not like one guy trying to hold on to his pants
while the other loans him money to pay off the
debt at his dry cleaner. It's not the 1990s
anymore, and it's about money and power and pure
survival of a continent or two, not cultural
"misperceptions." Who does the author think is
still interested in misperceptions? "The shifting
structure of the international system" he refers
to (as it happens every few hundred years) seems
almost completed now.

Unrelated to above, but related to the "Arirang"
song versions in Yanbian--just a thesis info:

   Pease, Joanna Rowan. "Yanbian Songs: Musical Expression of Identity amongst
                   Chinese Koreans." Ph.D. thesis. University of London, 2002.

Regards,
Frank