[KS] Sport in North Korea / 2011 TV documentary (online)

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 10 09:21:03 EDT 2011

Thank you, Frank, definitely a film worth seeing. It was also fun to watch "at the side" in the parts showing street scenes, not looking at what the commentary told me to watch but rather looking at what else can be seen, how the people move, how they are clothed, a.s.o.Now two remarks made me think and wonder about how "the censor's scissor in our own head" might influence reports about N-Kor (connotation is the problem). While I am definitely not at all positively impressed (do I really have to stress that?, but anyway) by the way the society is run, I am still in favour of trying to be critical about what I can see and how I interpret it.
One remark always comes in reports about N-Kor: "not being able to leave the hotel by myself without somebody / some guard coming with me", or some similar remark. I have been to Pyongyang only 4 times, and the last time is years ago. However, every time I was told not to leave the hotel on my own. My stereotype reaction then always was to act normal: ask why, brush aside that I might " loose my way in the unknown city ", and leave the hotel for extensive walks around the city whenever I felt like it without anybody interfering. Only once I was stopped, asked where I was going, and when I declined company, they just let me go anyway. QUESTION: Has anyone really been stopped from acting normal, that is, taking a walk if and whenever he/she likes? The other remark that made me think was something like "ideologizing the children" in school. Now, of course, I thoroughly dislike the ideology there, still ...teaching the kids the norms the grown-ups and the education administration want them to internalize, is not different from what is happening in our schools. Not the "teaching the ideology" is what we can object against, it is the ideology itself. But putting the ways they are taught into the center only helps exoticizing N-Kor (and I do not have to point to Christian schools with crosses at the wall and prayers before lessons, also the secular schools teach ideologies like our-way-of-democracy, free trade, and what-not). Definitely not a question of good-or-bad, for us outsiders only a subject of explaining, pointing out possible results/dangers, and then say "it is not my way") The military-like drilling of kids is based on militarism. Let us remember: the military-like drilling was part of our education 150-100 years ago in Europe and is the origin of today's physical training... O.k. I just would like to have more reports about N=Kor with less judging and more explaining..Best, Werner Sasse By the way, I liked your stuff about ModArt in Korea, and how it is presented... > Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 14:24:35 -0700