[KS] Korea's People Smugglers (Assignment, BBC World Service radio)

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 10:00:23 EDT 2011

I'd just like to commend this excellent  programme,
rather belatedly. You can still listen again, at  least
in the UK, on the links below - I think until July  18.

Or you can download an mp3, hopefully wherever
you are in the world. It lasts half an hour.

The article linked to below is a useful summary.

Kind regards
Aidan FC

______

1.                           _Assignment_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002vsn0) :
2.                              Korea's People  Smugglers

MEDIA:

_Listen  now_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00hm8z3)  (25
minutes)
AVAILABILITY:
Available to  listen.
Last broadcast on Monday, 04:32 on BBC World  Service (see _all broadcasts_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hm8z3#broadcasts) ).

SYNOPSIS

 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/p00hm8z3_640_360.jpg)
Defecting from North Korea is a dangerous  business.
It comes at a high price and there's no guarantee of  success.
Many make the journey to South Korea with the help of  brokers -
individuals and organisations who smuggle people along the illegal  overland route
known as the "Underground  Railroad".
For Assignment, Lucy Williamson meets some of the  brokers in Seoul who
make a living helping people escape North  Korea.

RELATED  LINKS

·                                 _Download this episode  (mp3)_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/docarchive)

SHADOWY WORLD OF KOREA'S PEOPLE  SMUGGLERS

 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14044794)
"I'm  not a drug-dealer. I'm not bad, I'm just bringing people out. I'm
doing  something the South Korean government can't do."
_Read more on the BBC News  website_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14044794)
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14044794_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14044794)
BROADCASTS
1.                               Thu 7 Jul  2011
09:05
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
2.                               Thu 7 Jul  2011
13:05
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
3.                               Thu 7 Jul  2011
16:05
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
4.                               Thu 7 Jul  2011
20:05
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
5.                               Fri 8 Jul  2011
02:05
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
6.                               Sat 9 Jul  2011
10:32
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
7.                               Sat 9 Jul  2011
23:32
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)
8.                               Mon 11 Jul  2011
04:32
_BBC World Service_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice)