[KS] help with flooded books

Kenneth Robinson anagosama at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 31 03:03:55 EDT 2011

Dear Agnieszka,

Several years ago a flash flood rushed downhill through the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus. It poured through low windows of Hamilton Library (the main library) and into the basement where maps, old books, and other important features of the library's collection were housed. After the disaster, library staff placed numerous photos of the damage and the restoration process on the library's homepage. I do not know if the photos remain, but they, and any available written text, may be helpful.

One practice that professors at the University of Hawaii at Manoa have used for their own books suffering from insect damage is to place the book(s) in a large ziploc bag, close the bag, and place it in the refrigerator's freezer for several days. I do not know if this practice will help prevent rotting of paper, but internet searches for "paper preservation" or similar phrases may prove fruitful.

I hope some of the above may be helpful.

Ken Robinson