[KS] Comedy in Translation

Tommy tommychevorst at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:55:44 EST 2011

This is one I've always enjoyed for its cross-cultural qualities:

A 할머니 and a foreigner are waiting at the same bus stop in downtown Busan.
The elderly local spots the bus coming and says: "왔대."
Replies the foreigner: "Monday."
Answers the granny: "버스 대."
To which the foreigner says: "Happy birthday!"

The following Monty Python riddle works in Korean, given the similar
sound of the punchlines in the two languages:

What's brown and sounds like a bell?
Dung.

A Google search for the Murakami joke ending in "I am 150." proved
fruitless. Would you be kind enough to repost it here?

Peace,
Tommy Vorst
Ph.D. Researcher in TESOL, University of Auckland
tommychevorst at gmail.com