[KS] Naming Kwangju, May 1980

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Nov 15 13:29:28 EST 2011

Excuse me. But I find that particular explanation
(below) close to the edge of being disrespectful;
this is by no means a "plain and simple" issue.
It very well does make a difference what wording
we choose, and--as was well explained here--one
can argue for various terms and use various terms
(even 'rebellion,' *if* explained and possibly
redefined). But in choosing a term you sure do
make an interpretative historical, political and
thereby also moral statement about the historical
event, the people involved on all sides, and
certainly also about yourself and your world
view. Please do not brush away the reasons why
this has been one of the central issues in
historian's (and not just historian's) debates
over the past decades by saying that it is a
simple issue.

Best,
Frank