[KS] Jazz in Korea

John Eperjesi john.eperjesi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:45:53 EST 2011

Hi Everybody, I just joined the group, so thought I should introduce
myself.  My name is John Eperjesi and I'm an Assistant Professor of
English at Kyung Hee in Seoul.  I received my Phd in cultural studies
from Carnegie Mellon and published a book on U.S. imperialism in Asia
and the Pacific ("The Imperialist Imaginary").

I am planning to interview the owner of All That Jazz, which opened up
in Itaewon in 1976, and I understand it is Korea's first jazz club.

I'm curious, what was the attitude toward jazz in Korea in the 1970s?
Did the authoritarian regime see it as a decadent western import like
rock and roll?  Who was into jazz?  So I'm generally interest in the
politics surrounding the culture.

Any important Korean jazz artists from that period?

I did read that jazz came to Korea in the 1920s, so if anyone has
broader historical narrative, that would be appreciated.

btw, I am studying Korean, but am far from fluent so unfortunately
can't read Korean documents.

Thanks in advance!
John