[KS] Naming Gwangju

Balazs Szalontai aoverl at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 03:35:28 EST 2011

Having also studied literature (though not English literature) and also a bit of Latin, I sense at least a certain element of pejorativeness in the term "rebellion", which is more related to legitimacy than to result. Notably, Park Chung Hee consistently called his coup a revolution (see "The Country, the Revolution, and I"), whereas the Republic of China authorities in Taiwan insisted on calling the PRC leaders rebels (bandits, etc.), rather than revolutionists. From this perspective, the term "Kwangju rebellion" appears to be more critical than neutral, at least to me. "Uprising" or "resistance" might be better.

Balazs