[KS] Jazz in Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Nov 17 13:30:25 EST 2011

>>  I have heard a few times that Josephine Baker
>>also performed on the peninsula.

Josephine Baker toured JAPAN in April 1954, where
she was doing some fundraising (through her
performances there) for mixed-raced children
("occupation babies") for the Elizabeth Sanders
Home. That institution had been founded in 1948
by Kiki Sawada who had been a close friend of
Josephine Baker in Paris. In 1932 Kiki's husband
had worked as a diplomat at the Japanese Embassy
in Paris. Baker was also a good friend of Léonard
Tsugouharu Foujita, by the way ... Fujita was at
the time the most famous Japanese painter in
Paris, and in the early 1940s the most famous war
propaganda artist in Japan (scattered lives
....). Anyway, this just as a side note. Baker
also adopted two mixed-race children during her
stay, Akio Yamamoto and Teruya Kimura from that
Sanders orphanage, the first of her "rainbow
tribe" (her term). The first boy, Akio, so
Josephine was told, was half Korean, born in July
1952. However, there are various stories about
his birth mother, and some Japanese research
indicates that his mother was actually a Japanese
woman (who abandoned him at a tabacco shop, whose
owner then brought him to the Sanders Home).

I do not think Josephine Baker ever stayed in
Korea. For sure she did not before 1954. Did she
later? When should that have been, and on what
occasion? Not to long after her Japan tour she
got into financial troubles and also was not
anymore so active as a performer. I do not think
there was any other, second visit to East Asia.

Best,
Frank