[KS] Help with North Korean song identification

CedarBough T. Saeji umyang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:48:41 EST 2011

Perhaps someone can have more luck than I'm having with this one, since
some of you do research on North Korea.

The film project One Day on Earth (filmed 10/10/10 and again 11/11/11 in
almost every nation on earth) is based here in Los Angeles and I've
translated some of their clips, today they asked me to help with a North
Korean clip from the 65th Anniversary of the Workers' Party. The clip
starts with footage of Kim Jong-il and Jong-un listening to speeches and
then transitions into a single dance/song number. The quality of the clip
is pretty bad, but they want the song identified. After Youtube research I
found the same song/dance in context on this clip
http://youtu.be/MMhn4C0LKK8 (starting at about minute 9:50). Although other
clips in this series identify the title of a medley performance (this being
one part of such a medley), since the One Day on Earth viewer will only see
this single clip, they only want the name of this song. I tried searching
the identifiable phrases in the song and the famous DPRK songs I could
think of, but couldn't find a clear match, even with headphones on and the
volume maxed out it's just not a very clear recording.

I've devoted a bit too much time to this already, hoping one of you will
find this interesting/easy.

Have a great day,

CedarBough

--
Ph.D. Candidate in UCLA's program in Culture and Performance