[KS] Korea and Koreans as featured in literary works by non-Korean(ist) writers

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Oct 24 19:52:16 EDT 2011

This for sure is not literature -- but I thought I mention it anyway,
given how important Chinoiserie and Japonism were for upper class
arts and art collectors in Europe and North America, but that there
was never anything like Koreanism -- this is as close as you get:

   "Die Braut von Korea" (The Bride from Korea)
   a ballet from 1897
   Music: Joseph Bayer (1852-1913), choreography: Josef Hassreiter

http://www.book1950.co.kr/main.html?menu=view&uid=283
(click on small images to extend size)

http://www.bildindex.de/obj07053790.html
shows a sketch for a costume by Franz Gaul
(click on small image to extend size)

The ballet was performed 38 times between 1897 and 1901 at the Wiener
Hofoper (Vienna Court Opera)--that was the time when Gustav Mahler
was the director there.

Best,
Frank