[KS] Call for Papers: 12th EASGSC, University of Toronto, 10 March 2012

dktina.lee at utoronto.ca dktina.lee at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 31 21:23:08 EDT 2011

DECEPTION:
The 12th Annual East Asian Studies Graduate Student Conference,
University of Toronto

We are currently seeking original academic papers on the theme of
?deception?. Establishing as our starting point the distinction
between truth and falsehood, we are interested in the question of how
and to what purposes that distinction might be intentionally blurred.
We welcome contributions that discuss the human, and also non-human,
faculty to deceive, as well as the human potential to be deceived.
Deception can take the form of propaganda or a glance, an image or an
utterance, a presence or an absence, a ploy or a pledge, an action or
a silence. The question of deception invites a multitude of
discussions: political, linguistic, artistic, cultural, historical,
anthropological, philosophical, psychological, and many more besides.
Thus we welcome papers from any and all disciplines willing and able
to engage academically in the issues, intricacies, and illuminations
of the topic of deception in an East Asian context, from the ways
deception is defined and figured in East Asian societies and cultures,
to the very workings of deception in the figuring and definition of
East Asia.

For those interested, we request that you provide an abstract (300
words maximum) as well as your personal and contact information by
December 15, 2011. Submissions from both individuals and panels of
three (panelists should send individual abstracts and a panel
abstract) are encouraged.

Submitted papers are also eligible for consideration for the East Asia
Forum, a journal edited and published by graduate students in the
Department of East Asian Studies at the University of Toronto. Please
indicate whether you wish to have your completed paper considered for
publication.

Selected participants will be asked to submit completed papers by
February 15, 2012. Those who wish their papers to be considered for
publication should submit a publication-ready copy (about 4000 words)
by March 31, 2012. During the conference, participants will be given
20 minutes to present their work; actual presentation papers should be
about 1500-2500 words long.

Please e-mail submissions and queries to eas.gsc at utoronto.ca. Further
information as it becomes available will be posted on the conference
website at http://groups.chass.utoronto.ca/easgsc/.

Kristin Sivak
PhD Student
Department of East Asian Studies