[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 99, Issue 5

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Sep 6 16:04:16 EDT 2011

As regards to Professor Cumings' note below:

Yes, that is right, until 1949, the year of the
interview that was the situation. That's the year
when they all got imprisoned and put away a North
Korean Gulag, to Oksadôk prison camp. One of the
books I had just listed in my last posting is a
record of this imprisonment from 1949 to 1954,
and about the period before that (from 1944).
Both, male missionaries and nuns (e.g. Maria
Gerstmayer and Bertwina Caesar who is still
alive) were imprisoned there, and some died of
permanent malnutrition and from the consequences
of hard labor with no treatment of diseases etc.

Here again the book:
Kugelmann, Willibald, et al: Schicksal in Korea:
Deutsche Missionare berichten. 2nd ed., St.
Ottilien: EOS-Verlag, 1974 (reprint 1992, and 3rd
extended ed. 2009).
The new 2009 edition has new editors: Witgar Dondorfer and Willibrord Driever.

Amazon.de link to the latest, revised 3rd edition (with new editor):
http://www.amazon.de/Schicksal-Korea-Missionare-berichten-1944-1954/dp/3830674031/

There are 24 eyewitness reports in this book.

Best regards,
Frank