[KS] reply to Gary Ledyard's useful comments - from Andrew Logie

Seunghun J. Lee juliolee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 18:29:26 EDT 2012

Dear Andrew,

As a linguist mostly working on tone, I just want to add some remarks to
your fourth point. In fact, there are quite a few languages that utilize
tone in order to distinguish parts of speech (noun vs. verb) or other
grammatical properties (transitive vs. intransitive).

Best,
Seunghun Lee

4.)  So you wonder how the tones were originally attributed to the
characters?  Does it imply at some early point in Ancient or Middle Chinese
a tone could distinguish between its use as a noun or verb?  (I have to
withdraw the 湯 example I had given between transitive and intransitive
because I misread the entry, it was also between the nominal and verbal
usages "boiling water" and "to boil.")

知:
平(支)  verb: to know, realise etc
去(寘치) noun: knowledge, wisdom etc