[KS] FW: Korean Tea Ceremony and other wonders

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 07:02:55 EDT 2012

 From: werner_sasse at hotmail.com
To: hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Subject: RE: [KS] Korean Tea Ceremony and other wonders
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:02:15 +0000

Dear Frank, thanks for your comments.

One thing at the beginning. When you remarked
>" Sounds somehow mystic and very "Oriental" to my ears, and of course, we
> see this being repeated over and over in lots of Korean magazines, but
> was that so? In short, I think this is not the case,"
I think you should be a bit careful. I swallowed the "Oriental" and it tasted a bit foul..., But really: You are implying that I was blinded by pre-something, but believe me, I did have to have a second look. And that fact that other people have said the same does not invalidate somebody's experience.

You are, of course, right in pointing out the danger of jumping the band waggon of discourse about the Japanese tea stuff and garden stuff, and I agree that we see too much of it. Tea culture seems to be such a case; at least it corresponds to my almost 50 years of experience.  But I still believe that in connection with Korean garden culture  Peter Bartholomew was correct to put his finger on the difference between garden culture in practice and garden culture in essays and treatises. Let the Japanese write as much as they want about their gardens, I go into the Korean garden and open eyes and mind. I was talking about how I discovered garden culture by going to gardens, strolling around pretty unprepared and naive, looking at it, and then later tried to find out what the designer had in mind and how other people reacted on experiencing the garden. Consulting any writings about garden culture was the second step for me.  Now to my favorit garden and some written stuff about it:

1548   Forty-eight
Chants on Soswaewon, by Kim Inhu (1511-1560) 김인후 金麟厚  <瀟灑園 四十八詠>1574        Record
of Roaming Auspicious Rocks (= Mudeung Mountain  Travelogue), by Go Gyeongmyeong (1533~1592) 고경명 高敬命 < 유서석록 遊瑞石錄>

1696        Thirty
Chants on Soswaewon, by Pangam Yang Gyeongji  ( - )(5th
generation descendent} 방암 양경지 方菴 梁敬之 < 소쇄원삼십영 瀟灑園三十詠>

1731        The
Facts of Soswaewon < 소쇄원사실  瀟灑園事實>; collected works of  Yang Sanbo
and his descendents.

1755        Map
of Soswaewon [woodblock] < 소쇄원도 瀟灑園圖>; unknown artist; some claim it was carved by
Song Siyeol (송시열 宋時烈) but  that is unlikely, because
his lifetime was 1607-1689.  A very good starting point is the map with the quotes I mentioned in my first posting, I am attaching a copy of it to this mail. The fun is in the double structure of natural beauty and scholarly symbolism connected with it. And the realisations of the symbols, sorry to repeat myself, are in part artificial and in part not. And sometimes it is difficult to .... oh, well. Another point: (but I have to warn you that this is really not my pet subject, so I may have missed the best articles)Scholars working about geomancy have up to now been too occupied with graves, cities, palaces, and houses, and have not payed enough attention to how geomancy worked on garden culture. Likewise those writing about garden culture do not pay enough attention to the inner structure, but see only the surrounding landscape. Some examples for influences on the design:1. small artificial hills or simply piles of stone were erected to correct geomantically seen insufficiencies of the place. The one reason I like best is the shape of a phoenix mountain which signals the bird wants to fly away. Since birds do not fly away when they are hatching, erecting mud or stone piles as eggs in their direction will correct the problem... I love that one.2. correcting the flow of brooks is important, also adding ponds in the correct direction3. lots of prescriptions like "a peach tree is forbidden to plant near a well", "a plum tree is o.k. in the east of the house but not in the W,S,or N", "planting a pomegranate in the front garden will give you a good son", " a gingko is bad in the E-SE of a house but good in the N", and so on4. peach trees and weeping willow in the east are a substitute for a missing Azure Dragon, and so on(Cf. Hong-key Yoon's writings for a start) These and similar rules shape gardens. Now some re to your posting:"There are always explanations for cultural and stylistic and all other choices.' -->well, I think I gave you a couple of hints... "When we discuss traditional Korean landscape architecture and gardening, we should of course look to and compare that to China (and Japan), as we do with all otherwise also.  For a Sino-centric country like Korea that is a must."--> Definitely. But the point is what are the different applications of influences? What did Korea adopt and how did it change them. And what did they simply apply without writing about it.  "Why would we suddenly make some sort of exclusion from the rule when it comes to garden culture? "--> Who does that? I have pointed at the influence of Chinese scholarship and today added geomancy, which also was adopted/adapted from Chinese models. "And if we do this, then we will see that there is no explanation for a possible absence of a bulk of textual sources, major
 sources, if there ever was anything like garden culture in Korea. "--> Are you asking for an explanation why there is no blue in the red rose? "Absence of textual sources", well there are very few sources on Kimtchi culture, but it has been a very lively culture for 1000 years... Is "garden culture" really only a phrase you can use when there are treatises about it? The reality of garden culture for me are the gardens which are there and the principles behind their design, the "about stuff" of philosophers and other writers is secondary and has only secondary bearing on the real garden culture. It is actually secondary "garden culture" for those who like to keep sitting at their desk rather than collect soil under their fingernails. Should you now say that designed gardens are too few to speak of garden culture and private ones were mostly build by Yangban, well so are gardens in the West (nobility)  Turning to tea culture I think you have a point. I still remember how I frowned when the first Tea Culture people showed up in my office in Hamburg asking for help in their plan to enlighten the German-Korean Society. And they had a lot of money to throw around. Anyway, so much for today. I will now turn to the fridge to pay respect to the German beer culture. By the way, are there many treatises about beer culture...? Looking forward to your next reply, I do enjoy this discussion and I think it has to do with more than a few gardensBestWerner