[KS] Korean Tea Ceremony and other wonders

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Aug 15 03:10:01 EDT 2012

Dear Young-Key, dear All:

I hope this discussion is not about "whether or not" X or Y existed in
any absolute terms.
That should truly not be the issue.
It's all about the relative weight that e.g. tea or garden had, the
all-over cultural, social, political influences, how weak or strong
these were.

I grew up in a North German village, and we had at all times, and most
other villagers had, as far as I can tell, AT LEAST 20 kinds of teas at
home, and half of those we harvested ourselves (until the early 70s,
that is … all gone now). All my family members would knew well what
tea would be good for what, and what the seasons were to harvest and
drink them. A few villages away that may already have been quite
different--different teas maybe, if any, just like different accents,
many variations there. But did we have a "tea culture"? No. By no
means. We did not have special pots and glasses, no specific rules of
serving tea, no related cultural things going on … or if so, then on a
"low culture" level. Tea, in that particular historical setting AND
location, was not handed down from an upper class, not to the villages,
or if so than very late in history and in a very weakened form (and
limited to black tea and how to drink that), but it had its roots in
centuries of local herbal collection (mostly as drugs).

Best,
Frank