[KS] Getting Hanja in Mac IME

Clark W Sorensen sangok at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 27 12:44:24 EDT 2012

Matty,

Thanks for clearly explaining what those things mean. When I first saw the choice "Hanja input" I thought, "What do they want? For me to put it in by radical and stroke order?" It didn't occur to me that "Hanja input" actually means "Hanja output".

Clark

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, matty wegehaupt wrote:

> No worries - this problem is also easily solvable.
>
> 1. Make sure that in your System Preferences - Language and Text - Input Sources - that "show input menu" box is checked
> 2. When you have the Korean input chosen, go to the input source icon in the top menu bar, click and find "Hangul Input Method Preferences"
> 3. A Preferences box will open - choose "Hanja Input"
> 4. For "input format" you can choose: Hanja, Hanja (Hangul), and Hangul (Hanja). You'll want "Hanja" in this case.
>
> Good luck,
> Matty
>

>> Thanks. This works. The only thing is, the hanja follows the hangul in parentheses. While I suppose that's how Korean is written these days, I'm an old codger who sometimes just wants the hanja in there by themselves.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, matty wegehaupt wrote:
>>
>>> For hanja on Mac - First of all - I use the 2-Set Korean input method that comes with the Mac OS
>>> 1. Type in the hangul e.g. han
>>> 2. after typing the last letter "n", "han" should be underlined. At that point, press "option" and "enter" at the same time