[KS] Getting Hanja in Mac IME

Don Baker ubcdbaker at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 18:07:21 EDT 2012

Frank's correct--I meant to send my earlier message to the bulletin board, not just to Frank.
I want to thank Frank for mentioning the Hanazono fonts. I had forgotten that I have them on my Mac as well.
I also want to join Frank in his praise of the Unicode Checker. I access it through the services menu on my Mac. When I see a character I don't recognize on my computer, I select that character, go to the services menu, and ask my Mac to "display character information."  The Unicode Checker program then opens up and gives me all sorts of information about that character, including where to find it in Matthews and in Morohashi.  (For those who haven't discovered this apple gift to Mac users, you can go to the keyboard system preference panel, click "keyboard shortcuts," go to "services," and scroll down to "text" and then to "display character information." Once you have checked "display character information," you will find that shortcut to identifying characters available in your browsers and word processing programs.)  It has saved me a lot of time when I have come across a character with a difficult to identity radical.

Don Baker ProfessorDepartment of Asian Studies University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z2 don.baker at ubc.ca