[KS] Korean Commons?

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 31 16:25:30 EDT 2012

Looking at my desk dictionary, "commons" appears to be a social and/or
political term referring to the non-aristocratic social class and
political institutions related to to it. In British public schools and
colleges it is the term for what in the U.S. would be call a dining
hall. I'm not sure how that would fit in with the Paektu taegan.

On the other hand, a definition applying to anatomical matters for the
word "common" reads as follows: "denoting a trunk from which two or
more arteries, veins, or nerves are given off," as in "the common
carotid arteries." THAT would appear to be an extremely apt description
of the Paektu taegan. But to use that in the plural for a single
organic system, might be problematic since nothing is more singular
than the taegan.

Gari Ledyard