[KS] Koreans carving snuff bottles in Beijing, ca. 1810

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Mon Dec 17 23:35:30 EST 2012

Hi Dr. Sargent--

In a list of 230 Korean surnames (the longest I have seen) published
in Seoul in 1987,“Yak” 흼does not appear. Whether it had much life as a
Chinese surname remains to be determined. The Dai Kanwa Jiten does
list it as a surname in both readings Ruo and Ya. Under Ruo it cites
only a Han dynasty official; under Ya, no example is given at all.

The surname Son ?Ois definitely a common Korean surname. It is the
24th most common surname in South Korea, with 368,717 bearers in
87,995 households counted in the 1985 census. Very few of the last
hundred surnames in the list will be commonly seen. Kyunsu (娼?)is a
perfectly respectable Korean or Chinese given name.  I like Frank’s
thought that Ruohuai /Yakhoe could be a given name. But it could also
be seen as a cha/zi (俚) or pen name.

I looked through the lists of ambassadors and secretaries who visited
China anywhere from two to four times a year for the period that you
defined before and after the beginning of the 19th century, but could
find no mention of a Son Kyunsu. In the late 18th and early 19th
centuries, such officials were  usually restricted to a single mission
to China; it was considered as a privilege or reward. On formal
missions, the ambassador was always a member of the Korean royal
family; his responsibilities were on the level of tributary ritual.
The deputy ambassador, who really did the business of the mission, was
a highly qualified and politically connected official who was seen to
deserve the responsibility of handling the kingdom's business. The
Secretary, often called the third ambassador, was chosen for literary
skills and cultural achievement. All three of these officers needed to
have high literary and especially poetic and calligraphic skills,
along with wide knowledge of Neo-Confucianism, so that the honor of
the Chosŏn kingdom would not be compromised. Well trained
Confucians were seen as good candidates for the second and third
levels. Believe me, such people were not the kind who would go gaga
over a decorative snuff bottle, let alone make one. If they were
looking for souvenirs for family and friends back home, they would be
likely to send their slaves to the market place to buy them. The
market itself was seen to be degrading to most Korean aristocrats.

  Another level of Koreans, those who served for the Korean side and
were trained as interpreters in Chinese and/or Manchu and who went
back and forth between Shenyang and/or Beijing more frequently, were
much more closely familiar with China than the diplomats. They were
fond of the brush arts―painting and calligraphy―and were more likely
to be interested in tiny snuff bottles. They were of a lower class
(called in Korea the Chung’in (櫓훙), but often very well educated, and
there were a sizeable number of painters, calligraphers, poets, and
musicians among them. Tracking them down by name, however, is not as
easy as it is for diplomats.

As for Korean communities in Qing China on the eve of the 19th century
and up to around the 1880s, they were concentrated in the Beijing
capital area or in the Northeast provinces, especially in and around
Shenyang. Most of them were  descended from prisoners of war taken
taken by the Manchus during the wars of the 17th century. They were
ordinary commoners not very likely to be literate or have high
cultural skills. The luckier & sharper ones were chosen for training
in Chinese and Manchu and became interpreters. Their descendants were
given the same training in their household educations and served as
interpreters  from the mid-17th century down to the 1880s, when
diplomatic institutions changed. Those Korean descendants who were
deemed unfit for language study made their living as petty merchants
down to the end of the 19th century. Korean travelers, mostly
diplomats, often mention such people in their memoirs.

Koreans as visitors in the Yangzhou area (inland Jiangsu Prov.) are
highly unlikely, due to both Chosŏn Korean and Qing dynasty
restrictions.

Frank, don't you  consider Vietnam to be a historical “East Asian”
country? Perhaps you see it as a “Southeast” Asian country? But apart
from compass points, the real point is that all three of these
countries―-Korea, Japan, and Vietnam―-absorbed not only the written
classical Chinese language and script but significant levels of
Chinese high culture as well.  And they are the only countries in the
world that have that cultural profile.

(And Frank, in both the original and following postings of this
thread, either yours or Dr. Sargent's, the character for Huai/Hoe
never came through on my screen in either the original or later
postings on this thread. What could be the reason for that? And is
there any way to get rid of that crazy right-angle symbol every time
one types a capital letter? Or does the fault lie in my own computer?)

Gari Ledyard