[KS] Korean Mountain Culture

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 1 16:57:44 EST 2012

If folks on the List haven't already read the article by John Eperjesi,
take a look:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-r-eperjesi/korean-mountains_b_1242746.html?ref=arts)

The hiking project he describes by the New Zealander Roger Shepherd
over the full length of the Taegan-- or the spine of the mountains
from Paektusan to Chirisan-- fits perfectly into the great theme of
Korean unification. Here's a guy who has already done the ROK part and
a good part of the Taegan in the DPRK as well, and is planning another
visit to the DPRK to hike in the Kaema Plateau in the far north (the
Paektusan area). He and the photographer Andrew Douch were well
received there for their interest in the Taegan and their cultural
sensitivity. I had the same reception when I climbed Myohyangsan (only
an offshoot of the Taegan) in 1988.

Eperjesi's article is full of useful commentary on the cultural and
religious aspects of the Taegan. He and others might also find my 1994
monograph,
"Cartography in Korea" (Univ. Chicago Press: History of Cartography,
vol 2, book 2, or the Korean translation of it, 한국 지도학의 역사, published
by 소나무 in June, 2011) on the influence of that culture on the history
and technique of traditional Korean maps.

Shepherd has established a hiking company called "Hike Korea" and
hopes to lead hikes there in the future. But this project would need
some support, not only by hiker-clients but also by those who could
support the project financially. Perhaps Mr. Eperjesi could post some
details on how to help on this point. As a hiker for the last 25 years
and a fan of trails in the Korean mountains, I only wish that my
nearly 80-year old legs could join Shepherd on one of his trips, but
it cannot be.

Gari Ledyard