[KS] I, II III ... The provocative consanguinity of Kims

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Sun Jan 15 12:18:35 EST 2012

Dear Lauren and all,
I have for years used the sun-moon analogy to illustrate that (for example here: http://www.japanfocus.org/-Ruediger-Frank/3197). The moon (2nd generation) shines because it reflects the sun's (1st generation) light. A first succession is thus easy. A second succession is trickier. Kim3 has three options: become the moon's moon (very weak light); become a sun (risky and hard to do); or become another (parallel) moon that is illuminated directly by the sun, too.
I think we see two parallel developments in NK at this time: To turn Kim2 into another sun (posthumously); and turn Kim3 into a moon of Kim1. This would elevate him to the same status as Kim2 over time, although I'd actually think that Kim1 and Kim2 will be merged into one entity and serve as one sun (SuperKim). This would create a sustainable model as all other leaders will become moons of that sun. I called it the "enshrined leaders" system (http://www.nautilus.org/publications/essays/napsnet/forum/2009-2010/the-north-korean-worker2019s-party-meeting-of-september-2010-perpetuation-of-the-living-leader-system-or-transformation-to-the-enshrined-leader-system). In a way, this is how our two big monotheistic religions (Christianity and Islam) function.
On a less scholarly sidenote, the term t'aeyang (and the names Il Sòng and Chòng Il) fit nicely into that concept; April 1th is the Day of the Sun; and Feb. 16 just became Day of the Shining Star, which is also a sun, isn't it.
Best regards,
Rudiger Frank
PS: Concerning Kent Davis' question about "empirically respectable evidence": I actually believe that we have more than enough evidence, although opinions differ on how to interpret it. This refers both to qualitative and quantitative research. All it takes is to read systematically through NK propaganda, as for example Patrick MacEachern or Brian Myers did it. I have focused on this type of research, too. It can be supplemented by an analysis of graphic images (http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=exploring+north+korean+arts) or slogans on display in NK. For a list of my contributions, which are not necessarily mainstream though, see http://univie.academia.edu/RuedigerFrank