[KS] DB of Korean Classics

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Jan 19 16:59:01 EST 2012

Let's just clarify what we are actually talking
about. That clarification is then already a very
good part of such a discussion.

First things first:

1. Protecting old texts without copyrights (from
being downloaded, possible being republished
elsewhere), THAT was really NOT the issue in the
earlier emails. The protection issue we had there
was about a website that has done something with
such texts ... right? These texts do not just
march all by themselves from various libraries
and private collections to some server's data
base? Those texts are originally not
electronically searchable. Those texts could
originally not be copied as 'text' but just be
viewed on paper. The institute had someone type
the texts of all those documents, then, over
years, produced translations into modern Korean
language as well (at least of the documents I
saw), then created various other helpful
tools--e.g. texts by year search. All that is a
lot of work, even for one single document.
The old texts are not copyright protected--that
is also my understanding. But again, that really
was or is not the issue here. The issue is
clearly that of asking how to hack a site in
order to "steal" someone's (or some
institution's) work--the labor that was put into
preparing these texts, in some cases annotating
them, translating them, typing and/or otherwise
converting them, making them searchable on the
Web.

2. Protection vs. public access: The institution
that created the "DB of Korean Classics" seems,
from what I can see, have decided to allow public
access to all the texts as a searchable data
base, text as text, and not as scanned image. (Or
are there indeed somewhere download links?) That
is their decision, and that does make the
institution to continue to act as some sort of
gatekeeper. Otherwise they could just disassemble
their own institute after the job is done. If
that had been a project by e.g. a public library,
then maybe that is how it would have been indeed
have been done. But this is really not the end
user's decision. I see that Harvard, for example,
made 473 rare Korean books available for download
in digital format. But these are then not
searchable, just scans--no comparison as regards
to the manpower that the above mentioned
institute put into their own project, not in
scope either.
Also, there are just so many institutions in
Korea that allow all kind of documents and
publications to be accessed ... a great list of
links is at:
http://www.kostma.net/eng/main/main.aspx
("Gateway to Korean Studies Materials," here the
Engl. version). I find all this rather amazing,
in a very positive sense.

The kind of protectionism that Professor McCann
mentions, isn't that mostly limited to materials
that relate to contemporary Korean politics and
economics and especially to materials about North
Korea? E.g., IPs from outside of Korea are
blocked from accessing a number of otherwise
public or semi-public data bases, or a Korean
resident registration number (chumin tûngnok
ponho) is required to get access to them, etc.
That development goes certainly hand in hand with
newly implemented and re-implemented censorship
measures, quite considerable censorship policies
for a democracy, and that is due to the
conservative trend under the present government
which seems not to trust itself and its own
citizens. Probably also "ahistorical" but I find
that certainly also a little depressive (still
have to figure out how to be more "historically
depressive").

3. Technical aspects -- Windows and Mac: please
see my summary, left site at
http://koreaweb.ws/4_computing.php . Korean
programmers, and form a few years back I have
some direct working relations there with one of
the companies that created several of the major
Korean studies data bases in Korea, tend to have
usually some sort of hacker's mentality. What I
mean here is not at all meant in a morally
negative sense!! I mean "hacking" in a Urban
street talk understanding of digital problem
solving--programming without caring too much
about international standards. As a programmer,
when you want to achieve a certain task, you can
just put a few tools together, new ones and long
outdated ones, and add some of your own code that
then solves the immediate problem for this one
task/website/data base. That has, at least from
what could see, been the mainstream approach in
Korea, and also in parts of Europe, and that is a
very different approach from what you normally
see in the U.S. If then, however, any of the
major software developers such as Microsoft, Sun
Microsystems, Apple, Linux, and other free
networks come up with an upgrade of e.g. a
browser, following published general policy
standards (of how e.g. to code a Java
application), then these "hack" solutions run
into problems, are not anymore compatible, AND,
more important so cannot quickly be fixed by
their programmers because the entire code base is
a mess that violates all kinds of standards. As
you have all noticed, on Korean websites you
often are limited to use 'Internet Explorer' as a
browser, and even there it maybe an older version
(e.g. 6, or 7 -- newest is 9). a lot of sites
still rely on already mentioned "activeX" which
is not supported by e.g. Firefox or any Mac
browser, and Internet Explorer is not anymore
produced for the Mac--last version 2001
(http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Activex).
For most of the Korean websites where Mac users
have problems, missing activeX support is the
cause. In other cases it may simply be required
to change the text encoding from e.g. "UTF-8" to
the (outdated but in Korea popular) "euc-kr"
mode. I also noticed that there are various
"reader" versions, not just for HWP documents
(where there finally is a new free reader for the
Mac) but there are also altered Adobe PDF Readers
that only work on Windows, again no way to create
these for a Mac because of "activeX." There is no
technical necessity for such kind of programming,
not since we have Unicode. And they may
disappear, just not sure how long that will take.

Best,
Frank