[KS] How Marvelous the Marvelous-Hangul-Hanja converter

Adam Bohnet adam.bohnet at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 4 06:49:08 EDT 2012

Dear Joobai:

I wonder if the lukewarm response to the Hangul-hanja conversion
program was less a matter of South Korean hostility to hanja than of
the value of the program itself. I haven't tried computerized
translation from Korean to Japanese and Chinese, but I expect that it
exists, and probably results in less funny results than the usual
google translate from Korean to English. One can also already change
hangul to hanja with HNC or Microsoft word at a pretty steady pace. To
be sure, one usually has to spend some time sorting out the hanja that
one wants, but I cannot imagine that the program you suggest would be
much more accurate - have you tried it out?

And, if you really want to revive Classical Chinese learning in
Korean, I think you had better pray that no such program ever gets off
the ground!

And frankly, I doubt that Korean hostility to hanja exists any more -
everybody seems to be studying Chinese and Japanese these days, and
learning the Korean pronunciation of Chinese characters is usually a
vital part of that learning process - if one goes into a class not
knowing the proper Korean reading of a character, all laugh, as I know
from bitter experience :-( .

In Korean Literature, for instance, my colleagues tell me that the
argument whether classical Korean literature in hanmun is properly
part of Korean Literature is long over, with classical Korean
literature in hanmun now fully accepted as part of the canon. IMHO, in
so far as it is possible to say that people are hostile to classical
Korean literature, this is less a matter of classical Korean
literature in particular than of Korean literature - or even
humanistic education - as a whole, which is considered both
superfluous and dangerously critical within the current neo-liberal
order. Nor is this an exclusively Korean trend - in Canada, government
hostility to the Humanities and Social Sciences (funding for
historical archives in Canada has more or less been eliminated,
whereas the long-form census has been destroyed) has grown into
hostility to the Natural Sciences as well - with research funding for
natural sciences being cut massively well before the recession.
Perhaps culturla nationalism does not explain all trends in South
Korea, in other words.

As for the following passage: "And, as for this point: Another is
about the most current head of ?????, a US trained historical
linguist, describing his assessment that Korean is in danger of
extinction and how National Language Institute(?????) has been waging
a crusade against ???(foreign words) and ??(Kanji/hanzi).  True to the
rhetoric, this is precisely the campaign he and the National Language
Institute have successfully waged."

Well Joobai, I must congratulate you on your excellent choice of
friends and neighbourhoods if you think that there is a war against
foreign words that is being waged successfully in Korea. English is
hardly being kept out of the language to any significant extent,
certainly not in academia or in entertainment or on shop-signs or just
about anywhere.

Yours,

Adam