[KS] Royal Asiatic Society Korea Branch April program

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Sat Mar 31 09:41:02 EDT 2012

Members of this list who are in Seoul might wish to participate in one or other of our upcoming events.
They are very welcome. For full details see the RAS web page http://www.raskb.com/

Brother Anthony
President, RASKB

Lectures

Held in the 2nd-floor Residents’ Lounge, Somerset Palace, near Anguk Rotary

Tuesday, April 10, 2012. 7:30 pm
What does China want in North Korea, and what can be done about this?
Prof. Andrei Lankov (Kookmin University)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012. 7:30 pm
Confucianism and Traditional Korean Art.
Prof. Chung Hyung-min (Director, Museum of Contemporary Art, Korea)

Tuesday, May 8, 2012. 7:30 pm
South Korea's Overseas Development Assistance Experience
Peter Beck (Asia Foundation)

Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 7:30 pm
Seon (Zen) Meditation and its Benefits
The Ven. Dae Bong

Tuesday, June 12
Yankee Knight Errant at the Court of the Emperor Manque:  William Franklin Sands and King Gojong in the "Korean Cockpit"
Kent Davy

Excursions

South Sea Island Extravaganza (Namhae-Do) & Cherry Blossom Excursion (Jinhae)
Sat-Sun, April 7-8, 2012
Leader: Mrs. Sue J. Bae
W238,000 for members, W268,000 for non members.

Gyeonggi-Do Cherry Blossom Excursion
Saturday, April 14, 2012
Leader: Mrs. Sue J. Bae
W39,000 for members, W 46,800 for non-members.

Hwaseong (Suwon) Fortress and Palace
Sunday, April 15, 2012
Leader: Peter Bartholomew
W38,000 for members, W45,000 for non members

Gyeongju, especially the sculptures on Namsan
Saturday-Sunday, April 21-22, 2012
Leaders: Jennifer Flinn, Jack Davey
W . . .

Magnolia Excursion : Cheollipo Arboretum & Mallipo Beach
Saturday, April 28, 2012
Leader: Mrs. Sue J. Bae
W54,000 for members, W64,800 for non members.

Historic Incheon
Sunday, April 29, 2012
Leader: Prof. Robert Fouser
W . . . .

RAS Reading Club
To learn about Korea and develop cultural literacy through reading works of Korean literature (in English translation). The next meeting will be held on Monday, April 30 at 7 pm in the Inje University building, reading  “Seoul: 1964, Winter” by Kim S?ngok  (See map in “Library” in our home page).
Contact: Bob Fouser   kagoshimabob at gmail.com

RAS Photo Special Interest Group
We have started a photography special interest group, the RAS Photo SIG, to help people improve their photographic skills. Next meeting Wednesday, April 4th, from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in the Inje University building (See map in “Library” in our home page).
Contact: Tom Coyner    tom at softlandingkorea.com

RAS National Museum of Korea: RASKB lecture-visit
We are offering a monthly in-depth tour of one portion of the National Museum of Korea with an English-speaking member of their staff. The next such visit, focussing on Joseon wooden furniture, will be held on Wednesday April 18, starting at 7:00 pm. There is no charge; it is open to RASKB members only. Those wishing to attend should send an email with the subject “National Museum Tour” to royalasiatickorea at gmail.com. The visit is limited to 20 people, on a first come first served basis.

It is possible to sign up for our emailed Newsletters (domestic and overseas) through links in the Membership section of our home page www.raskb.com