[KS] Asia Literary Review on Korea

James B. Lewis jay.lewis at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 16 05:51:31 EDT 2012

The Asia Literary Review has just published a special issue entirely on
Korea. It urges and celebrates the beginning of a long deserved
recognition outside Korea of a vibrant, innovative and distinctive
literature.

We have interviews with Shin Kyung-sook (Man Asian Literary Prize and
Please Look After Mother) and Blaine Harden (Escape from Camp 14); new
fiction from Kim Young-ha, Park Mingyu and a number of Korean writers
previously unpublished in English; essays from the literary agent Joseph
Lee and Korea expert Michael Breen; poetry from Nobel contender Ko Un
and the two poets chosen to represent the DPRK and ROK at the Cultural
Olympiad; and a photo essay from Simon Cockerell of Koryo Tours. And more.

Over the next two months we shall be posting further material, including
more new fiction and poetry, essays from prominent diplomats and
academics, and new work from North Korean writers.

Please visit our website <http://www.AsiaLiteraryReview.Com>, subscribe
<http://www.asialiteraryreview.com/web/en/subscribe> to the Review and
sign up
<http://com.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=30d8503546e924765597d5896&id=64612a4b7c>
for the Newsletter, and look at our Latest News
<http://www.asialiteraryreview.com/web/article/en/334> page for updates
and newly-released material.

The Asia Literary Review is dedicated to providing, in print and online,
the best contemporary writing from and about Asia.
_____________________________

What people say:

'Given much of the 21^st century is going to be shaped in Asia, it is
excellent that the/Asia Literary Review/introduces us to new and
familiar writers of the continent profiling and showcasing their work. I
am a big fan and am sure that the/Review/will continue to entertain and
get bigger and better' -*Lord Patten, Chancellor of Oxford University,
Chairman of the BBC Trust and *former Governor of Hong Kong**

'The Asia Literary Review fills an important gap. We've grown used to
reading about Asia. But through a kaleidoscope of stories, essays,
poems, polemics and photographs, finally we can hear Asians talking
about themselves.' David Pilling, Asia Editor, Financial Times

'A necessary mirror to reflect the work of Asia's most interesting
writers' - David Davidar, author of Ithaca

'Without Asia Literary Review it would be impossible, unless you had a
really a deep interest in a certain country, to read many of these
authors. It has opened up a channel. It's like the Panama Canal' --
Miguel Syjuco, Man Asian Literary Prize winner 2008

<http://www.AsiaLiteraryReview.Com>
<http://www.AsiaLiteraryReview.Com><http://www.AsiaLiteraryReview.Com>