[KS] Juche Thought

McCann, David dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Mon May 28 11:03:31 EDT 2012

I'd suggest that any check on the appeal that the juche idea had should be much broader than attention just to Japan.  Many 3d World locations found it compelling.

One perhaps overly simple point to explain the appeal is that the DPRK economy was stronger than the South through the 1960's and into the 1970's.  Measurable difference.

Ideas may be thin gruel, but per capita income and other such measures are not.  And the windy-seeming formulation of 'philosophical nonsense produced purely for export' could cover a great many national ideological formulations.  Juche had the useful portability of being just one word.  Sound-bite length; eminently textable, had there been text messaging in the '70's.

David McCann