[KS] hangul to hanja conversion online

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue May 29 04:13:53 EDT 2012

On 28.05.2012, Kye C Kim wrote:

>> There was a news item last year describing a wondrous program
>> capable of making this automatic conversion from hangul to hanja.
>> Not surprisingly, Korean media's and the public's response can best
>> be described as "so what," and "means nothing to me" and "does
>> nothing for me."

Just can't help it, but ...:

Reading your latest mail in the "Juche" thread (below) why do you
wonder non-Korea scholars will think that every Korean word can be
written in Chinese characters?
"Korean XXX" and "Japanese XXX," by the way, stand these days for
something specifically different than being just placeholder :)

Cheers,
Frank

Hi,

Reading your comment that "A true Marxist does not think in terms of
Japanese or Korean..," I found myself wondering just exactly in what
terms does a Japanese XXX or a Korean XXX might indeed think?  And
what exactly might be the appeal of such a flexible vessel of
political ideology as 主體思想 consists of?

I wonder if 土種主義/土着主義/nativism should not be considered as one of the
motivating factors behind the attraction of 主體思想.  Nativisim, or 토종주의,
is a palpable fact of of psychology in East Asia, ever more palpable
today, especially after gaining sovereignty/主權 when nativisim is all
that might be left as an expression of nationalism or national spirit.
  This I think is particular true when there is a feeling that
national honor and dignity, or 國體, has not been satisfactorily
redeemed or restored.  Even within the term 主體, the most direct and
relevant associations of 主權 and 國體, that is sovereignty and
national/people's honor, are clearly present, indicating the terms
that are central and who is to be the central, indeed only, leading
actor.  For those who feel disenfranchised, oppressed by outsiders,
what can be better?

Some concrete examples from modern day Korea might be helpful
illustrations.  토종학자 is often seen as more worthy, purer than those
who have been tainted by foreign training and their appointment to
faculty position in US is hailed a proud achievement. This is somewhat
embarrassing but a few weeks after I posted that LG 英語公用 was a
smashing success, the company announced that they were abandoning the
project and sending the English executives all packing.  The torrent
of news articles cheering their departure with "good riddance" etc is
rather typical.  Even the travails of President Suh at KAIST is now
revolving around 토종/외세.

Yours,

Joobai Lee

5/29/2012

P.S.
土着主義 is probably the more common translation for nativism
Here is a link to some discussion on Nativism and Karatani Kojin, one
of the few EA thinkers with standing in the West.

<http://www.pum.umontreal.ca/revues/surfaces/vol5/derrida.html>Introduction to
Kojin Karatani's "Nationalism and Ecriture"