[KS] Juche Thought and "A true Marxist does not think in terms of Japanese or Korean..." 土種主義 vs 普遍主義

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue May 29 07:39:32 EDT 2012

Dear All:

Rüdiger Frank wrote:

>> My point, hidden behind too many words perhaps, was that chuch'e is
>> more than just plain >nationalism or self-reliance. At its
>> core, it is the anti-thesis to Marxism and any other worldview that
>> claims to have discovered objective laws of human development and
>> society. This feature of chuch'e tends to be ignored by most of the
>> literature.

It seems that many here were saying or trying to make the point that
something that would be an "anti-thesis" (your term points to a more
scientific approach) needs to be concrete and to some degree
verifiable, the same way that Marx provided verifiable economic data
for his theses, which makes Marxism more than just a "worldview" (an
economic theory, obviously, and a general development theory). If
Kim's criticism would be that Marx' approach to provide "objective
laws of human development and society" is something cannot work--a
failure of "historical materialism" as an analytical tool--then North
Korean Juche Theory would indeed need to provide a "theory" (not just
'sasang' / thought) to counter that, a valid theory within the
framework we live in in our modern rationale world, however incomplete
that rationalization the age of enlightenment left us with still may
be. If indeed there are no "objective laws of human development and
society" then we are still left with a frame at the very heart of our
modern life that demands a rational and verifiable explanation of that
fact. Juche does for sure not provide that. As thus it is no "theory"
whatsoever. In order to accept anything in "Juche Theory" (or better
'sasang' / thought) we would have to talk outside of our own frame of
rationalization, and that would really become a mystical and very
obscure task.

Furthermore, Kim Il Sung hardly had the intellectual capacity for
theoretical thinking beyond rather simplistic levels. I am not too
sure how much of Marx he understood and care to comprehend, but am
certain that he was not able to come up with a critical analysis and a
new theory coutering Marxism (based on a solid understanding of
Marxism, I mean). Not a single of his writings or interviews points
into that direction, or is there anything? The fact that he quickly
developed pretty strong 'gut instincts' for ensuring his political
power says nothing about his intellectual capabilities (but his
writings do), and some are really necessary when we talk about
Marxism, I fear. Balazs Szalontai, in today's posting, brought it to
the point: "Kim Il Sung's so-called philosophical innovation was
merely to subordinate philosophy to the needs and aspirations of
political power, or, in other words, to incorporate the principle of
absolute dictatorship into philosophical doctrine (...) which meant
that economic laws and material incentives could be disregarded."

Another issue, as I already made in my chapter in Rüdiger Frank's
_Exploring North Korean Arts_ book, is that Kim Il Sung was further
appropriating and localizing Marxism. That again is nothing new
either: Stalin and his helpers, e.g. Maxim Gorky for the cultural
field, did exactly that for Soviet Russia in order to justify a
revolution in a mostly agrarian state and for their party's power to
succeed. They established the "non-West" right there in Russia,
thereby enabling them to disregard the "rules and laws" that Marx had
applied to "the West." To use a fashionable term U.S. historians
focused on in the 1980s and 90s, and by now it has made its way to
far-away places like Europe, Kim build his political "legacy" upon
localizations (starting from around 1959/60), emphasizing that general
physical rules valid elsewhere in the universe do not apply to Korea,
where everything was so uniquely different. (Sorry about the irony,
but you get my point.) And Kim Il Sung and his helpers then followed
the exact same approach in Korea that Stalin had taken in the USSR,
just distancing themselves from Euramerica AS WELL AS the Soviet
Union, localizing Marxism further--so much so, that all that's left is
Kim's chuch'e sasang., which, again, is not a theory, but a handbook
of hidden Stalin quotes and my-mother-told-me-to-be-good wisdoms. (For
details see my piece in Rüdiger's book just mentioned.)

Best,
Frank