[KS] Seeking advice on lecture series 'Contemporary History & Society of Korea'

Nicholas Peeters Nicholas.Peeters at arts.kuleuven.be
Sun Nov 11 06:42:36 EST 2012

Dear KoreanStudies members,

My name is Nicholas Peeters, research assistant at the department of Japanese Studies of the University of Leuven (Belgium). Next academic year, we are provided with the opportunity to install a lecture series on a specific subject at the masters level. As we are witnessing a growing interest of students towards Korea (undoubtedly a result of the Hallyu wave currently reaching European shores), we are considering to opt for a class on ‘Contemporary History and Society of Korea’.

In very broad terms, we are thinking to organize the class around four themes: security (Korean War, Six Party Talks and the North Korean problem, Island disputes, etc); politics (domestic politics, regional cooperation, international organizations, etc); economy (chaebol, FTA’s, etc); and culture (Korean pop culture, soft power, Hangul, etc). It would, however, be the first time to develop a lecture series focusing on Korea.

In this regard, I would like to make a call to those who are interested in Korea and perhaps have experience teaching about the above subjects. I would especially appreciate it if you could direct my attention to relevant readings (textbooks, web pages, articles, etc) or just give advice to organize a coherent lecture series on contemporary Korea.

I sincerely hope to solicit your attention to this call and a wide response. I can be contacted offline on the following address: nicholas.peeters at arts.kuleuven.be

잘 부탁드립니다

Nicholas Peeters (Mr.)
Universiteit Leuven