[KS] Tokto

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Oct 12 02:13:48 EDT 2012

What I find so interesting here is how Tokto relates to globalization
and the current state of capitalism in Korea and the world as such. I
think the most common understanding of globalization is based on a
revised Marxist approach, especially if talking about nation-states
with mostly commercial globalization ('trade globalization') like
Korea, where globalization is intentionally being build-up as a tool to
strengthen capitalist competition with other nation-states. Now, (a)
the revised Marxist understanding of globalization has it that it is
the stage of (our current) development where corporations are fighting
on a global level, where they compete globally for higher growth rates
and higher capital gains, and these corporations are then supported by
'their' nation-states. In Korea, this also seems the prevalent view.
See the recent short notes on this list about "nation branding" as an
expression of that, and how South Korea has officially made that a
policy since just a few years. In the neo-Marxist understanding
nation-states as such have little to no role in this, they just support
the real players, the corporations. (b) An alternative view, though,
would be that the actual players are not the corporations but the
nation-states and their governments and organizations (and those are
not necessarily equivalents of a country's corporations).

The question as regards to this island, big enough for some birds to
shit on but otherwise hardly of any economic importance--and therefore
at first sight only being in the way of accumulating capital and
streamlined global trade operations, in other words, anti-capitalist
and backward in character--well, the question is then how that goes
together with what we perceive as the hyper-capitalist logic of
commercial globalization? Obviously, national territory and territorial
units have not been touched in any way by globalization. I then start
to wonder if maybe what (especially in South Korea) is seen as a
national support system for its corporations (e.g. culture as support
system *for* corporations, see again the "nation branding" campaign) is
actually not what it is, if maybe it is in fact the nation-states and
their political institutions in Asia that are the actual movers and
shakers. I can't imagine that Samsung or Kia would get any profit from
the kind of campaigns you now see in Korea. Maybe the economists on the
list have some input?

Best,
Frank Hoffmann