[KS] CFP: Contested Spaces - 13th Annual EAS Graduate Conference, University of Toronto

dktina.lee at utoronto.ca dktina.lee at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 31 18:08:17 EDT 2012

Event: Contested Spaces - The 13th Annual East Asian Studies Graduate
Student Conference
Where: University of Toronto
When: Saturday, March 2, 2013
Keynote Address by: Prof. Lisa Kim Davis, UCLA

CALL FOR PAPERS:

Using East Asia as a point of departure, Contested Spaces challenges
speakers to interrogate our understanding of space and society in all
disciplines including history, geography, sociology, literature, and
anthropology. We welcome submissions for papers that critically engage
with these concerns.

Possible topics for papers include:
- Imperialism, colonization, and decolonization
- Urbanisation, gentrification, and uneven development
- Spaces of production and reproduction
- Virtual spaces and Real spaces
- Gendered spaces
- Nationalism and/or social movements
- East Asia as discursive space

We invite all those interested in presenting papers to submit an
abstract (300 words maximum) along with some brief biographical
information (name, affiliation, and research interests) by DECEMBER 7,
2012. Presentations should be 20 minutes in length (1500-2000 word
papers).

Selected participants will be asked to submit completed papers by 15
February 2013 so that panel discussants may read papers in advance.
Submissions may be for an individual or panel. Panel submissions must
include one abstract per participant, up to 3 persons.

Please email submissions and queries to eas.gsc at utoronto.ca. Further
information, as it becomes available, will be posted on our website at
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/easgsc

EASGSC
c/o Jeremy Hurdis and Martin Bastarache
Department of East Asian Studies