[KS] BBC journalists pose as LSE university students in North Korea

Hilary V. Finchum-Sung finchumsung at snu.ac.kr
Sun Apr 14 18:23:20 EDT 2013

I am not sure if the media has been acting strangely, but I do agree that the reports have been incredibly sensationalist, enough to strike worry unnecessarily in the hearts of every family with a relative or friend living here in South Korea. At the same time, I would never equate journalism with responsibility; particularly in this day and age of entertainment journalism.

The above being said, the BBC's 'undercover' disguise to get into NK doesn't surprise me, neither does their denial that they acted without integrity.  The head reporter (Sweeny) disguised himself as an LSE Ph.D. student--not necessarily an issue if acting alone and trying to hide one's reporter identity. However, it becomes a big issue when one is accompanying LSE students.  His pseudo-id inadvertently aligned him with the LSE and with the LSE students.  In addition, while the BBC insists that the students were informed of one reporter going on the trip, they were not informed that a crew of three would be going (well, the students were told this fact once they arrive in Beijing) and that they would be filming. Considering this, I'd have to say the BBC and the film crew has behaved unethically.

While the circus of CNN etc will do what they do, this act of irresponsibility and insensitivity by a major (and I will say, respected) news organization, is just something we don't need right now.

Hilary Finchum-Sung