[KS] BBC journalists pose as LSE university students in NorthKorea

CedarBough T. Saeji umyang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 19:27:18 EDT 2013

Dear Koreanists,

This afternoon my local NPR station aired Sweeney discussing his trip to
the North (the tone was very similar to the news article linked above).
This evening on their BBC news hour they will be airing more of Sweeney. I
called the station and asked them to consider not airing that segment,
explaining the problems with Sweeney's "investigative journalism."
Recognizing that they would be unlikely to change their evening coverage
based on my phone call, I asked them to consider introducing Sweeney's
report as something that should be received with a critical ear. I signed
off by asking the program desk staff member to google the issue so that he
could confirm what I was telling him. Perhaps some of the rest of you would
consider doing something similar if your local station airs BBC coverage.

Happy spring,
CedarBough

--
CedarBough T. Saeji

Research Affiliate, Center for Korean Studies at UCLA
(현) UCLA 한국학연구소 연구원
Ph.D. in Culture and Performance, UCLA, 2012
UCLA 문화와 공연학 (옛 민속학) 박사, 2012
M.A. in Korean Studies, Yonsei University, 2006
연세대학교 국제학대학원 한국학 석사, 2006

220 Snowberry Lane, Lopez Island, Washington, 98261

http://www.karjamsaeji.com
http://www.cedarbough.com (still being built)