[KS] Buddhism in Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Aug 2 19:48:46 EDT 2013

Viet Nam? … we do not need to go quite that far. This must very likely
be a reference to the famous Kuch'ŏn-gak (九天閣, location: 함경남도, 함
흥시, 동흥산) that goes back to the year 1108 under Koryŏ--a
strategically situated military outpost, belonging to a castle (咸興邑城
); it is not in today's Hamhŭng City itself but right next to it, on a
hill from where you have a great view over the city and all the
surrounding landscape. Kuch'ŏn-gak, in English Kuch'ŏn Pavilion, is
North Korea's National Treasure No. 108:
http://www.thefullwiki.org/National_Treasures_of_North_Korea#wikipedia_No__101_150
More here, including photo of how Kuch'ŏn-gak looks like:
http://roks821.egloos.com/8001212

But really nice is this description with the Chosŏn period map,
explaining the history and its strategic importance:
http://panzercho.egloos.com/10750285
--> On the first historic map here you will find >>Kuch'ŏn-gak<< top
center, as a kind of northern gate of the fortification. (Click on map
to enlarge it.) Keep in mind that this is a late Chosŏn period map …
the fortification looked somewhat different at Koryŏ times. Please
consult North Korean publications for details.

Regards,
Frank