[KS] Questions about tourism in JSA, Panmunjom

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 19:05:06 EDT 2013

When you say you've toured the DMZ, you may mean only Panmunjom, the JSA. The tours shifted greatly as U.S. forces withdrew and the ROK forces took over almost everything except for a token U.S. force in a joint battalion that, last time I visited, was still commanded by a U.S. lieutenant colonel. You would have to get the dates of U.S. withdrawal to see the evolution of the tours. When U.S. had troops right up to the DMZ and staged daily combat-ready patrols, visitors were herded into a briefing room by a U.S. military briefer, generally an enlisted man (don't recall any women) who repeated everything he had had to memorize. A ROK official, not always military, now gives the briefings. Visitors could also get to a couple of U.S. army observation posts, one of which was named Oulette though I may have the spelling wrong. Can't recall the name of the other. These are now ROK army posts, generally but not always inaccessible.
You probably visited a couple of other places, including that village inside the DMZ that they like to show off, and went up Dora-san, overlooking the DMZ with a view all the way to Kaesong. Tours to those places are a lot more open than they were 20-30 years ago. Also no doubt you went down into the third infiltration tunnel on a little train. In the old days, for some years after the tunnel was discovered, you had to walk -- a long walk down and a tiring walk back up. Dorasan, of course, is up from Dora Station, the last stop on the railroad that goes to Kaesong. The railroad into the North, and Dorasan station, were built in an era of rapprochement. Freight trains ran, empty, rd trip to the Kaesong Industrial Complex for a time, but they stopped a few years ago. Now nothing moves north out of Dora Station. Tourists took trains to Dora Station just to see it, and workers in the KIC often commuted there from Seoul -- no doubt will resume when the KIC
 reopens.
If you went to Chorwon, a major town south of the east central portion of the DMZ, you would have had to walk down and up an infiltration tunnel. There's also a good observation post near Chorwon, just below the DMZ, overlooking the scene of the battle of Bloody Ridge and other encounters, and another observation post at the eastern end, just below the DMZ.  Oh, and there's the shell of an old district bldg, blown up in the war, where briefers say NKoreans tortured SKoreas. These are often overlooked, are more accessible now than years ago.

My memory is hazy on a lot of this stuff -- I don't recall just when U.S. pulled back most of its troops from the area. All that's left now are elements of the Second Infantry Division at Camp Casey, between the DMZ and Seoul. U.S. and ROK stage war games not far south of the DMZ but not in the areas that visitors would normally go. 195
One detail: a few years ago you could see from Dora-san just south of the DMZ the hulk of the last locomotive that was blown off the tracks going south in the fall of 1950. They've now moved that locomotive to Imjin-gak, a little further south of the DMZ, on the southern side of the Imjin River crossing, as a highlight of a large tourist area that's been built up in recent years with memorials, rides for kids, picnic area etc. You undoubtedly walked around Imjin-gak -- standard tourist site. (Incidentally, the engineer on the locomotive escaped -- old story.)
Don Kirk