[KS] Mein Kampf

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Mon Aug 12 18:33:30 EDT 2013

Just to clarify two issues:

(1.)
About An Ho-sang I am essentially all with you for what you pointed
out, and the fact that he had left Germany before Nazi rule alone does
not seem to make such a huge difference, not in his specific case
anyway. After all, we talk about a philosopher--a head-heavy
stormtrooper. Just look at the very large ethnic German and Austrian
community in the U.S. during the 1930s, before the war begun, and you
see that it did not take any sort of physical presence in Germany to
become a Nazi. Many among the first generation immigrants were Nazis,
at least until the war started. As late as February 1939 they marched
with an estimated 22,000 onlookers and hundreds of swastika flags,
Stars and Stripes, and a huge portrait of George Washington through
Madison Square Garden. Also, Nazism further influenced and reinforced
ultra-conservative American ideologies. We may also have a second and
open-minded critical look at what really happened to American "national
identity" during the "New Deal" policies and its railroads, industry,
and farming work programs etc. in the 1930s, and where such changes
were informed from. "Liberal" is just an expandable catch word. The
social components that the New Deal enforced are rather close to that
of the Third Reich with its work programs (keyword "Autobahn"),
reacting to the same catastrophic economic circumstances of the late
20s and early 30s. Same in the USSR at the same time, we see the
appearance of the Homo Sovieticus, the New Soviet man. One may not call
all this fascist, as, obviously, it is something that was seen in
various political systems. Yet, it was all during the same period, and
it can very well be explained in concrete terms if we, finally, dispose
all of our post-war and Cold War books about fascism and write new ones
that consider and include parallel developments worldwide. What we then
get is a picture where certain cultural phenomena AS WELL AS concrete
economic and social-political solutions which had been attached to
fascism, also because of the equation of modernity and modernism with
democracy, are not anymore connected just to that one political
movement. In short, we still see what we saw before, but we are then
able to also see it elsewhere; the cross-connections we draw on our
chart do not anymore place fascism in the center of it all AS IF
fascism were the source of all that.

(2.)
As for the earlier discussed Kang Se-hyŏng: the last thing I want to do
is to adorn myself with borrowed plumes. The credit to have
"rediscovered" that guy has to be given to Fujii Takeshi--I am just
following up (on him and several others) for a little while, and doing
so I see that there is just so much more to it in terms of sources and
expanding my own understanding, it is highly fascinating!

Thanks!
Frank