[KS] A site identification?

Best, Jonathan jbest at wesleyan.edu
Sun Feb 3 20:01:48 EST 2013

I am trying to identify a place in Korea that is mentioned in the Nihon shoki’s entry for the third month of 544 (Kimmei 5:3) [NKBT ed., NS vol. 2, p. 86 L.3 & 87 L.8; also see p. 86, n. 4]. In the text proper, the place is called Hasan 荷山, and in the edition’s mid-1960’s annotation it is suggested that the site is equivalent to Hasan 荷山 in Kyŏngsang-pukto, Koryŏng-gun, Tugong-myŏn 斗谷面. I have been unable to identify Tugong-myŏn in the limited sources available to me. Perhaps it is an older—Japanese colonial?—designation? Any help in identifying the site will be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan