[KS] January with the RASKB

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Sun Jan 6 04:06:14 EST 2013

Members of this List currently in Korea might wish to participate in some of the following Royal Asiatic Society Korea Branch activities. All are very welcome. We are also always glad to hear of scholars coming to Korea during the year who might be willing to give us a lecture despite the minimal honorarium we can offer. For more details, please visit our home page  http://www.raskb.com/

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

Lectures for January 2013

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 7:30pm
"Letters From Joseon: 19th Century Korea through the Eyes of an American Ambassador's Wife"
Lecturer: Robert Neff
This lecture will examine Korea - as seen through the eyes of Sally Sill, the wife of John M. B. Sill - the American Minister to Korea (1894?1897). Their stay in Seoul was during an extremely turbulent period of Korean history, and Robert has just published a fascinating book with this title drawing on personal documents and correspondence between the Sills in Korea and their family in the United States. Copies of the book will be on sale at a special price! The book is published by Seoul Selection  http://www.seoulselection.com/

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 7:30pm
Calm and Dynamic: Two Differing Aesthetic Aspects of Korean Traditional Music
Lecturer: Professor Sheen Dae-Cheol (Academy of Korean Studies)
Korea's traditional music too often remains unfamiliar to people who have not learned to recognize its fundamental characteristics. Tonight's lecture, by someone who has spent his entire life immersed in Korean music, is designed to introduce us to some of the basic aesthetic features of traditional Korean music in as entertaining a manner as possible.

Upcoming Excursions

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 9:00am to 1:30pm
In-Wang San Hike & Bugak Skyway Drive
Leader: Ms Sue Bae
A bus will be used for parts of this short excursion but so long as the paths are not too icy there will also be a chance to do some not-too-difficult walking, enjoying the crisp winter air and the lovely views of Seoul and nature combined.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 1:00pm to 6:00pm
Experiencing Korean spirituality through Buddha, Buddhism and Seon(Zen) etc
Leader: Mr. Jun (Y.K.) Shin etc
This new excursion, mainly conducted indoors, will visit the Int’l Seon (Zen) Center, Buddhist Museum and temple at Dongguk University, and relocated historical relics at Jangchungdan Park and Hotel Shilla. Expert guides from the University will help participants deepen their understanding of Buddhism, while a short walk around the neighborhood will provide physical exercise.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 8:30am to 7:30pm
Winter Break Excursion : Gwangneung & Sanjeong Lake
Leader: Ms Sue Bae
This excursion will take us to Gwangneung, the tomb of King Sejo and his queen, located near Seoul in a picturesque National Forest Reserve, and then on to the enchanting Sanjong Lake. After lunch, we have the option of going ice-skating or taking a hike around the lake, which takes about one hour. This has long been a favorite RASKB winter excursion.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 9:00am to 1:00pm
Fortress Wall of Bugaksan Hike
Leader: Ms. Won-Na Cha
Today’s hike is along the wall running behind Gyeongbok palace and the Blue House. The trail will start near Sukjeongmun (the North Gate) and trek to the peak of Bugak mountain; there we will enjoy the panoramic view over the capital, then we will walk down to Changuimun. The paths might be icy, please come with suitable footware.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 9:00am to 6:00pm
Sujong-sa, Hongyu-neung and Donggu-neung Tour
Leader: Ms Sue Bae
Today's tour will take us north along the banks of the Han River on a beautiful, scenic road. Our temple trek will take us on a path that passes under chestnut, elm and pine trees, while far below us the merging of the North Han and South Han Rivers forms a natural S curve. We will also be paying a visit to Hongyu-neung, the tomb site of the last two Joseon Dynasty kings. Finally we will visit the Dongu-neung (East Nine tombs). This includes the tomb of King Taejo, the first Joseon ruler.

Finally, our Special Lunar New Year Special:
Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 8:00am to Monday, February 11, 2013 - 8:30pm
Seorak-San National Park & Waterpia
Leader: Ms Sue Bae
In addition to the usual magnificent winter beauty of this scenic area, participants will have the option of enjoying the Cheoksan hot springs on the first night, and to extend the pleasure on the second day at the Seorak Waterpia, a large-scale hot-spring resort. For those who would rather enjoy hiking in the mountains, two options are proposed. This excursion combining relaxation and walking has long been a popular way of excaping fomr the cities during the Lunar New Year holiday. Traffic will not be a problem, we guarantee!