[KS] A new proposal on the Romanization Korean Surnames

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Jul 4 07:27:30 EDT 2013

Thank you, Prof. Lee, for this information.

I have one trivial question that relates to my original query.

> This proposal allows for the
> use of popular forms for some surnames (e.g. Kim, Lee) along with
> the systematically prescribed forms (e.g. Gim, Yi),

Is there a place where Yi is systematically prescribed? This is not
meant as a challenge. As I mentioned, since I am compiling a
dictionary in which I am trying to be in line with RR, if I render
things in ways that are not clearly indicated in the official
guidelines, I want to be able to document the reasons. If you can't
think of a place where Yi is systematically prescribed, that's OK--I
just want to know the actuality, as much as is possible.

Regards,

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735