[KS] RR romanization

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Jul 13 23:28:58 EDT 2013

On 2013/07/13 17:06, Sangoak Lee wrote:

>   "Yi Songgye", should be rendered in RR as "I Seonggye".---No.
> According to  RR 3(4)② Romanization of family names will be determined
> separately, its correct appllication is still "(Not decided but later)
> Seonggye."

This begins to soundlike the establishment of two standards: one for
family names, and one for the rest of the language. Surely, this cannot
be the case. I don't see how RR could possibly say that 이 would be
romanized as "i" in all cases except for family names. This would be
especially problematic in area of lexicography, as it would create
chaos. I would certainly argue strongly against the creation of such a
policy.

Regards,

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan