[KS] Greek and Latin studies in Korea

Franklin Rausch frausch at lander.edu
Sat Mar 9 17:27:05 EST 2013

Dear Dr. Wadas,

I think the teaching of Latin in Korea would have begun in the nineteenth century with the coming of French Catholic missionaries.  I deal somewhat with that issue in my article "Saving Knowledge" (published in Acta Koreana 11, no.3 (December 8)).  The Korean Church History Institute (한국교회사연구소) has released an edited and translated collection of the first Korean priest's letters (성 김대건 안드레아 신부의 서한).  In my study of Korean Catholicism in the ninteenth century I haven't run across any references to the teaching of Greek.  I hope this is of some help.

Yours truly,
Franklin Rausch

--
Dr. Franklin D. Rausch