[KS] Koje Island POW camp

Sung Deuk Oak sungoak at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 22:38:30 EDT 2013

Dear Koreanists,
I am interested in the POW Camp at Koje Island and Christian activities there during the Korea War. Once there were about 175,000 prisoners (150,000 North Koreans and 20,000 Chinese). Anti-Communist Christian POWs built some churches there and American missionaries and Korean Christian ministers worked among them.
One book says that more than 3,000 inmates were killed or wounded during the famous riot by the Red prisoners of Compound 76 started on May 7, 1952. I posted some pictures of the camp on my webpage: http://koreanchristianity.humnet.ucla.edu/sources/pictures-.
I appreciate and welcome any help for finding more primary sources, magazine articles, and books on this topic.
Sincerely,Sung-Deuk OakAssociate Professor of Korean ChristianityUCLA