[KS] Beginning of dog-meat consumption

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri May 17 09:23:10 EDT 2013

There is an English language, pretty well written, intriguing text on
dog meat consumption and its history at Korean Animal Rights Advocates
website:
http://animalrightskorea.org/dog-meat-issue/the-history-of-koreas-dog-meat-industry.html

That also has an image, although small, but very clear (better than
many other images--maybe somehow digitally 'repaired') of the Anak #3
mural that Dr. Pak had mentioned (the third photo in that article).

This essay, by an anonymous author, brings up quite a number of
arguments and thoughts that I would think are well worth considering:
for example, that we need to consider what Anak #3 has to do with
"Korea"--and that what we see there are possibly Chinese customs of the
time (that relates then to the old discussion of who is burried there,
a "Chinese" or a "Korean"--and to the whole early-Korea-as-nation
discourse, etc.) Another of several good points the author makes, I
quote: "Another part of the problem is that tradition, even one as
perverted as dog-meat eating, is linked with nationalist sentiment. Dog
meat eating is even perceived by some as a defiant act against western
bullying and a kind of nationalistic practice, which is all
ridiculous."

Dog meat, by the way, is not only being consumed in northeast Asia. I
would just have to drive a hundred miles straight north to get a dish
of Swiss Mostbröckli made with dog meat--popular in the Alps (not
served to tourists, but consumed in private settings at various
occasions). However, even as a tourist you certainly can buy cat pelts
in many stores there.

Best,
Frank