[KS] Korean in North Korea

Bill Streifer photografr7 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 08:22:25 EST 2013

I had the recent pleasure of taking part in the translation (from Korean to Japanese to English) of the lengthy interview of a female North Korean defector. That interview, which consisted of 13 questions and answers, was never-before published in English, or in South Korea for that matter. We are currently attempting to have her interview published in South Korea and in Russia.

My translator informed me that the translation was not easy for a number of reasons. First, places and geographic names have various spellings. And second, how the Korean language is used in North Korea is not the same as how it is used in South Korea.

If true, one explanation might be that while both North and South Korea were under Japanese occupation-domination since the earth 20th Century, Russia has been a strong influence on North Korea and the U.S. has been a strong influence on South Korea since the end of WWII.

Would anyone like to comment on this, and cite specific examples?

Bill Streifer